Security Review: Coin-Operated Laundromats

By zaxim at 11:27 pm on February 24, 2008 | 6 Comments

They’re out there…Some of us use them everyday…Especially college students living away from home…We can’t avoid them, unless we want to be stinky…

Yes I’m talking about coin-operated laundries…

Coin-operated washing facilities provide an interesting security problem, since the users only maintain a single asset, their clothes. The owners and operators of the facility are at most risk since they have to protect against people stealing money or gaining free use.

Summary

For those of you who either live at home, or are spoiled beyond belief that you’ve never had to work with one of these devices, allow me to describe a typical coin-operated washing machine.

The washing machine is of relatively standard fare, albeit with simplified control settings, which may or may not be selected using digital input. Quarters are inserted into the coin slot, and usually a digital controller is used to drive the machine. It displays the remaining time and other information on an LED or LCD screen. After the correct number of coins are inserted. the machine runs until it completes its cycle

Security Assets and Goals

• Users’ clothes: Often the most valuable asset. Designer jeans are expensive, it should be difficult for someone to steal.
  • Coin deposit container: Should be inaccessible to unauthorized personnel.
  • Paid wash cycle: In order for a cycle to commence, the user must pay for it.

Potential Adversaries

• Freeloaders – Users who wish to use the machines without paying for the service.
  • Machine designer/implementer – If you could design a backdoor that let you had free laundry service, would you do it?
  • Thieves – Motivated to steal money stored in the machine or actual laundry.

Potential Weaknesses

• Laundry is fully accessible – It’s rather simple to walk over to a running machine and just open it up and remove the clothes, which forces the owner of the clothes to be always vigilant.
  • Access to digital controller – The controller needs to be accessible for maintenance and diagnostics. If an adversary can get access, they might be able to disable it or
  • Inept coin reader – The coin reader might be fooled into thinking that it’s received quarters, causing it to begin an unpaid cycle.

Possible Defenses

• Lock for laundry: Some type of lock where the user can choose a code to protect his or her clothes from perverts and thieves.
  • Surveillance cameras: If people were aware that they were under surveillance it could be used to deter people from attempting to tamper with the machines.

Conclusion

Most of us don’t think about the security implications of a standard Laundromat, but this is a real issue for Laundromat owners and something that they need to contend with. But provided machines are physically difficult to compromise things should be ok. I still don’t like the fact that anyone can steal my clothes…

Filed under: Miscellaneous,Physical Security,Security Reviews6 Comments »

6 Comments

• 1
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by BRIAN S

February 24, 2008 @ 11:35 pm

I imagine the risk here comes from the fact that it is relatively easy to claim others’ clothes as your own, as well as to walk away looking ordinary. I think that one of the assets to be considered is the reputation of the laundromat. If clothing theft is common, the laundromat would have fewer patrons, and soon go out of business. On the flip side, I would wonder if putting those systems in would be too costly in comparison to the business lost from a few thieves.

• 2

Comment by Desiner Bags

September 8, 2008 @ 8:56 pm

I agree with your post. Which is not something I will usually do! 🙂 I enjoy reading a post that will make one think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

• 3

Comment by Henry madsen

September 10, 2008 @ 5:41 am

The Laundary owner or Laundromat is the person who is at center of all such activities. He need to be careful about such issues and cut the crop before it goes too high, means, he should take care from such type of cloth thieves as soon as he finds one.

regards.

• 4

Comment by Henry madsen

September 15, 2008 @ 3:54 am

Haha, there is always risk in any Business, however, any Business Men with little patience and care can overcome them and earn lots of reputation about there Business!

• 5

Comment by Ina Lau

September 15, 2008 @ 6:46 am

I just love the laundromat but it sucks having to keep an eye on
    all of my stuff. I’m afraid to take my eye off of my clothes for
    even a second. You know there are people that just wait for a
    pretty girl to walk away from her laundry for even a second.

• 6

Comment by Stephanie

September 18, 2008 @ 5:19 pm

Oh thank you so much for this post. I am a frequent user of ye olde laundry mats and it is so frustrating to have to watch your laundry and protecting it from perverts is such a hassle. So I made sure to only go to laundry places that have cameras and other security features. Nice post!

RSS feed for comments on this post