Spammers find a way to abuse out-of-office replies

By jessicaf at 11:33 pm on March 2, 2008 | 1 Comment

We’ve all recieved those helpful out-of-office replies when someone is not going to respond to your email for a while.  At work, I always like recieving these because then I know I shouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a response for whatever problem I am facing.  I would have never thought these could be harmful, but, of course, spammers have found a way to abuse them.

An article posted on securitypronews.com describes how a spammer can take advantage of auto-responders.  The trick is that the spammer needs to get around security measures that prevent spam.  First, the adversary sets up a valid account at a normally-trusted provider.  Then they turn on their auto-responder with an out-of-office message that is really their spam.  They then send email with a spoofed ‘from’ field ito their newly created account.  The auto-responder dutifully replies to the victim’s email message with a spam-filled auto-reply.  Since the email came from a legit sender, everything checks out and the email is not filtered out.

In the article, a McAfee spokesperson noted that since the replies come from a legitimate sender, with various safe signatures like DKIM, DomainKey or Sender ID in place, they may breeze past typical spam filtering technology.

Filed under: Current Events1 Comment »

1 Comment

• 1
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by nekret

March 2, 2008 @ 11:52 pm

Yet another reason why email needs a major overhaul. it seems like DomainKeys/SPF should be utilized in this case as well to verify the legitimacy of the mail coming in to the auto responder.

RSS feed for comments on this post